Listen on the player at the top of the page or find us on itunes!
Don McGrath is a climber and author of Vertical Mind, 50 Athletes Over 50, The Five Climbing Mindsets, and his blog at Masterrockclimber.com. In his newest book, Vertical Mind, Don McGrath and his co-author Jeff Ellison seek to understand fear, doubt, and how to break the bad habits that we learn as climbers. There’s a lot of science and research that went into this book and it is a great read for anyone looking to master their vertical mind.
Show Notes for episode with Don McGrath:
- What spurred his interest in training the brain for climbing
- How schemas and scripts write habit into our climbing
- How those habits can ultimately hurt us and hold us back
- How to create productive scripts in our climbing
- The fear of falling and the fear of failing
- Methods for dealing with fear
- Stress management on the wall
- How to recognize our own bad habits
- How to be a better climbing partner through ‘co-creative coaching’
- How to coach significant others without ending up in the doghouse
- What exactly is a flow state and how to attain it
Related Links and Sponsors for Don McGrath:
- Don’s website and blog – masterrockclimber.com
- The Vertical Mind book website
- Vertical Mind Facebook Page
Videos featuring Don McGrath:
Photo Gallery of Don McGrath:
Thanks for listening and be sure to leave a review for Chalk Talk, A Climbing Industry Podcast on itunes!