Listen on the player at the top of the page or find us on itunes!
Eddie Fowke is the official photographer for the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) and the Editor in Chief of The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine.
Eddie photographs the world’s strongest climbers at international competitions and world-class climbing areas. He is in constant movement around the globe since there is always another stop on the IFSC World Cup Circuit, another pro competition, or what short vacations he can squeeze out between jobs. Due to the constant work, Eddie hasn’t had a permanent place of residence in over a year and a half.
His blog and magazine, The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine, can be found online in the new digital format at www.TheCircuitClimbing.com. Eddie also publishes an annual print version that features some of the best photos and articles he gathers throughout the previous year.
Show Notes for episode with Eddie Fowke:
- Accidentally photographing IFSC Collegiate World Championships (3:26)
- Creating and fostering good relationships with athletes and coaches while on the road and how that plays into his philosophies on photography (5:23)
- How Eddie began shooting photos for climbing competitions which led him to create The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine (10:55)
- Jumping on board with his friend, and world cup climber, James Kassay to take photos at some IFSC events in Europe for the first time and how he managed to make it happen (17:45)
- How climbers like Mina Marcovic and the stories he discovered about the Slovenian Team helped him decide to start The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine (19:15)
- How Eddie taught himself to write, edit, produce, print, sell, and distribute a magazine by himself… and the inspiration for learning all this is not what you think (23:35)
- What finally convinced him to quit his job and pursue The Circuit full-time, and dealing with the words of caution and criticism from his friends and family (27:48)
- Dealing with the highs and lows of starting his magazine, and when it gets low, “it gets brutally low” (30:18)
- The battle for advertising in the climbing industry between print and digital media (33:42)
- The success of the first issue of The Circuit and progression moving forward (38:52)
- Why it’s important to secure the legacy and history of these athletes and events (45:31)
- The new re-design of The Circuit’s website and what more it can bring to climbing media (47:06)
- A rollercoaster he can’t get off (54:07)
- The climbing industry funding social media climbers instead of the best athletes (56:40)
- Aging climbers and up-and-coming young guns, who deserves to get paid (59:58)
- What private or nationally-backed systems are working to lift up and support athletes around the world? (1:04:53)
- How the climbing industry should solve the issues of athlete sponsorship and support (1:06:04)
- The much debated Olympics question… (1:11:57)
- Do the Speed and Sport disciplines in climbing need to change before 2020? (1:17:11)
Related Links for Eddie Fowke:
- The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine | www.TheCircuitClimbing.com
- The Circuit’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Joshua Tree Skin Care | www.JTreeLife.com *[sponsored] (enter ‘chalktalk’ for 2o% discount)*
- Dr. Lisa Erikson, of “Climbing Injuries Solved” | www.ClimbingInjuriesSolved.com *[sponsored]*
- Gnarly Nutrition | www.GoGnarly.com *[sponsored] (enter ‘chalktalk’ for 20% discount)*
- Power Company | www.PowerCompanyClimbing.com *[sponsored] (enter ‘chalktalk’ for 20% discount)*
Related Chalk Talk Podcast Episodes for Eddie Fowke:
- Ep. 61 w/ Petra Klingler | 2016 IFSC Boulder Champ
- Ep.58 w/ Shauna Coxsey and Leah Crane
- 2016 World Cup Roundup: in which Udo Neuman educates John and Jackie
- Ep.53 w/ Sean McColl, The Canadian Powerhouse
- Ep.39 w/ Nathaniel Coleman “Moments of Success”
Photo Gallery of Eddie Fowke:
**commercial music by www.bensound.com**
Thanks for listening and be sure to leave a review for Chalk Talk, A Climbing Industry Podcast on iTunes!