On his forthcoming film Old Man Lightning, photographing the critically endangered California Condors, and training his broken body to re-send Midnight Lightning 25 years later…..
**This episode is sponsored by Klimbz.com, a route management and gym member engagment platform that enables head routesetters and gym owners to manage setters, control route inventory, engage with gym members, run leauges, organize paperless comps, and more. Email info@Klimbz.com for more info!
Listen on the player at the top of the page or find us on itunes!
Show Notes for episode with John Sherman:
- The motivation behind trying to re-send the Yosemite classic, Midnight Lightning, 25 years after sending (3:42)
- Photography and bouldering (8:34)
- Why bouldering, and the influence of John Gill (11:25)
- Thoughts on the rise of gym climbing (15:44)
- Creating the V-grade system for bouldering and it’s effects on the climbing community (John’s favorite topic to cover *cue sarcastic eye roll*) (19:27)
- On old age, training for Midnight Lightning, and understanding pain tolerance (22:51)
- How working with a personal trainer has fixed decades of ailments and the importance of ‘prehab’ (27:58)
- On the decision to document the journey to re-send Midnight Lightning on film in the forthcoming movie ‘Old Man Lightning’ (32:52)
- How this film won’t be like most climbing films *hint: there may be adult diapers involved* (34:59)
- On trying not too take himself so seriously and the grandiose egos of climbers (36:45)
- After all of the training and work, how close is he to re-sending Midnight Lightning (37:49)
- Why failure is not an option for John Sherman (43:16)
- Why John took up the effort to photograph the entire critically endangered wild California Condor population (46:30)
- Follow-up call with John about his shoulder injury (1:04:08)
Related Links for John Sherman:
- Old Man Lightning’s Website | www.oldmanlightning.com
- John Sherman’s Photography | www.vermphoto.com
- Very Photo’s Instagram | www.instagram.com
- Paragon Athletics | www.paragonathletics.com
- Donate to help save the wild California Condors | www.peregrinefund.org
- Klimbz.com, a route management platform for the gyms of the future | www.Klimbz.com *[sponsored]*
Related Chalk Talk Podcast Episodes for John Sherman:
- Ep.65 w/ Kyle McFarland of White Pine Athletics
- Ep.64 w/ Paul Robinson “Uncharted Lines”
- Ep.49 w/ Kevin Jorgeson “Driven By A Question”
Photos Gallery for John Sherman:
Videos featuring John Sherman:
**commercial music by www.bensound.com**
Thanks for listening and be sure to leave a review for Chalk Talk, A Climbing Industry Podcast on iTunes!
click on us!!!