Listen on the player at the top of the page or find us on itunes!
***As a gift to our listeners, Kati wanted me to tell you that you can receive 20% of all Joshua Tree and Gnarly Nutrition products if you cruise over to their website at www.GoGnarly.com enter the promo code “chalktalk” at check out! Or go to www.jtreelife.com and enter the promo code “friend20” at check out! So, show your support and get some goodness for yourself!***
Kati Hetrick is the owner RedPoint Consulting. Through her company she manages some of climbing’s top athletes including, Alex Johnson, Nathaniel Coleman, and more. She is one of few managers out there who represent climbing athletes which means she has had to figure out what the brands want from their athletes and how to manage. She talks with us on this episode about the changing face of the climbing industry and how athletes are expected to earn their keep in this ever-evolving industry.
Show Notes for episode with Kati Hetrick:
- How her early experience competing as a youth competitor and later as a sponsored athlete gave her an insight into the industry that led to a career in athlete management
- How she began her career as a climbing athlete manager
- Do climbing athletes really need representation?
- Why we see some athletes with 20 sponsors and others with 2 or 3 despite their relative achievements
- How much self-promotion and social media play into modern day pro climbing
- How her business, RedPoint Consulting, works with athletes, brands, and companies
- Who some of her clients are and what she is doing to help them succeed in their dreams
- How much can a top earning climbing athlete expect to make in this new age of pro climbing
- The negativity from the climbing community that surrounds the idea of making a living as a professional climber
- The instability of a professional climbing career
- Advice for young athletes who are considering a career in rock climbing
Related Links for Kati Hetrick:
- Kati Hetrick’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Joshua Tree’s Website | www.Jtreelife.com | **(enter “friend20” at checkout for 20% off)**
- GoGnarly’s Website |www.GoGnarly.com | **(enter “chalktalk” at checkout for 20% off)**
- Inquiries or questions can be directed to Kati’s email | Kati.Hetrick@gmail.com
Related Chalk Talk Podcast Episodes for Kati Hetrick:
- Ep.39 w/ Nathaniel Coleman “Moments of Success”
- Ep.32 w/ Sasha DiGiulian “Hustlin’ and Bustlin'”
- Ep.25 w/ Paul Robinson “Making the Canvas Climbable”
- Ep.15 w/ Alex Johnson “Putting on a Good Show”
Photo Gallery of Kati Hetrick:
Thanks for listening and be sure to leave a review for Chalk Talk, A Climbing Industry Podcast on itunes!